“Star of the Sea has always been a very important part of my life and I am so happy to return to it.”
Birthplace: Honolulu, Hawai`i
Education: An educator since 1960, Mrs. Githere has been a part of the Star of the Sea School since her days as a student here. She graduated from Star of the Sea High School (Class of ’57) and went on to a earn a BA in English from Notre Dame de Namur University, Belmont, CA, followed by countless courses and workshops in elementary education and administration.
1960-64: Taught in Notre Dame Schools in California
- Taught at Holy Family School in Honolulu, Hawai‘i
- Taught for the first time at Star of the Sea School and served as principal for two years.
- Returned to California to teach at Notre Dame Schools
- Served as a missionary, teaching English and teaching skills to college students at Egoji Teacher Training College in Meru, Kenya, East Africa.
- Taught English and did administrative work at Universal College, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Returned to Hawai‘i. Enjoyed teaching middle school at Star of the Sea School. Besides teaching English, writing and literature to grades 6-8, tutored eighth grade students for SSAT tests, produced annual Christmas plays and May Day pageants; was department chair for the Middle School level. In 1993, received the Distinguished Teacher Award from the NCEA (National Catholic Education Association).
- Retired after more than 47 years of teaching.
2008: Substituted as Teacher-Aide at St. John’s Catholic PreSchool, Mililani.
2009: Just could not stay away! Returned to Star of the Sea as Librarian.
Skills and abilities:
I enjoy working with children of all ages. In particular, I am very experienced with middle school youngsters but have produced plays and other activities with the younger children too. I have performed many administrative type duties including those of Elementary School principal, High School dean of students, and department head of the middle school level, and chairperson of many different committees. I love to sing; love to read stories to children; love to spend time enjoying my 4-year-old grandchild, a wonderful, fun and thoroughly enjoyable experience.