Subject/Grades: Reading, grades four and five; social studies, grade five
Email: [email protected]
Grand Rapids, Michigan
BA Degree, Michigan State University
Year started at Star of the Sea: 1970
Widow – 1995
Mother of four
Grandmother of 12
Great-grandmother of one
Time sure flies when you’re having fun! When I started teaching at Star of the Sea School 40 years ago, I never dreamed that I would be teaching the children of my former students. Some highlights and fond memories of my teaching career include:
- Being part of a wonder team of teachers and staff.
- Proudly displaying the pictures of all my former classes at the beginning of each school year.
- Keeping in touch with many of my former students over the years.
- Celebrating Biography Day every September with costumes and a parade.
- Being featured on TV news on fifth grade Biography Day.
- Taking our annual trip to the Big Island.
- Preparing the Thanksgiving Mass with a Pilgrim and Indian skit every November.
- Decorating my classroom for Christmas every December.
- Having a newspaper article written about my classroom.
- Presenting our traditional fifth grade plays every spring.
- Being invited to perform our plays at the University of Hawai‘i.
- Teaching reading workshop at Punahou summer school for 30 years.